Welcome! This site is an endeavor to spread an attitude of positive thinking and optimism. By searching for joy and beauty in all things - even the mundane, perhaps a smile will spread from my computer ... to you!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

"I Promise Myself...."

Optimism, and the act of thinking positively is nothing new. Mankind has known for centuries what the power of positive thinking is capable of - but in these modern times we simply get too busy and too involved in the search for instant-gratification to remember that anything is possible!

How do we re-kindle the desire to remain positive and happy, when we are constantly bombarded with images of negativity, greed, hatred and evil? In a world torn not only internationally by war, starvation, and intolerance, how do we find a thread of Joy to hold on to?

It begins in our own "back-yards" - within our own hearts. By believing that God truly does want all that is good for us and for others, and by living in that belief each day, our example will eventually lead others to follow suit. I have mentioned it before - it's the attempt that matters. One small effort, one small example, one small affirmation of faith can create a domino effect of happiness.

It begins with believing in yourself, and believing that there is hope in all things. Following is an affirmation that I re-discovered and keep near my personal desk. It was written many, many years ago by Christian D. Larson, and is the official creed of The Optimist International Organization .... an organization dedicated to bringing out the best in children world-wide, serving these future citizens of the world community-by-community:

The Optimist Creed
I promise myself -

To be so strong that nothing can disturb my peace of mind.

To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person I meet.

To make all my friends feel that there is something worthwhile in them.

To look at the sunny side of everything and make my optimism come true.

To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.

To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature I meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improving myself that I have no time to criticize others.

To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

Optimist International - www.optimist.org
Imagine the possibilities if all peoples of the world acted to live in this regard.... I personally, need to read this creed each morning before leaving each day!

Those of you who have begun to follow this site might have additional quotes or snippets of inspiration to share. Can you think of some examples where another person shared a positive outlook or optimism with you? How did it affect you? Perhaps you shared a positive message of hope with someone else - how did it affect them? I sincerely welcome your suggestions and comments, and the blogging community at large welcomes community participation in this regard!

God Bless each of you today - believe in your possibilities!

Pay it forward - spread a smile!
(photo courtesy of Google images.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I cherish your comments and thoughts - sharing is caring!